Friday, July 13, 2007

 

HIERARCHY II

Hierarchy in humans

this is my second post today inspired by the article of Daphne Caruana Galizia from Malta. I checked my ideas with a friend of mine who is a suoper expert on evolutionary psychology and he said my ideas seem plausible. So here are they.

Nobody wants to be the last one

I was shocked reading the article by Daphne Caruana Galizia in Malta Independent Online about working-class housewives voting for some specific politicians on Malta. I have contacted the author and we shortly discussed that topic. I offered my theory of hierarchy in human society, where I maintain that nobody likes to be at the very bottom of that society. Apparently, even on Malta this is absolutely valid: the lower layers of Maltese society are sort of “happy” about so called “boat people”, the African refuges who come to Malta on boats, as these are looked down on by the lowest “domestic layer of people.

Realizing that my theory is really valid all over the world about all people and all nations and all groups, I recalled that there findings on two opposite feelings or emotions: one is the feeling one has when winning something and the other is the feeling of losing something.

Actually, one can find world-known personalities giving their comments to this question, and mostly even these personalities, e.g. McEnroe, maintain that they hate the feeling of losing much more than they like the feeling of winning. In other words the negative emotion of being the last one is stronger than the positive emotion of being the first.

And, of course, on should ask why it is so. It seems to me that this strange discrepancy in the strength of feelings or emotions is given by fear. Fear is most probably the strongest emotion anybody known by now can have.

What I mean is a very specific type of fear, fear of being eaten and so being deprived of life. I thin k that his emotion evolved base on following fact, anybody in the evolution and still in the animal realm when got hurt, being a sort of disabled is usually an easy pray for predators, very often even expelled from its own herd, being left on its own and then eaten up by some predator, lion, for example.

So it makes even sense in humans when they do not like to be the last one, this feeling might by based on the unconscious idea of not wanting to be eaten up. In the long billions of years of evolution there always has been some kind of predator eating up the handicapped, the last ones.

I do not know if this possible explanation is the correct one but it seems very plausible to me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?