Friday, September 28, 2007

 

Corruption as measure of difference

The next idea about differences in human groups

Supportive evidence for Steven Pinker’s idea that groups of people do develop differently

Some time ago I tried to find some evidence for ranking of nations. I collected a lot of data from internet, my studies, my own experiences with several nations where I worked, and a lot of statistical data from www.nationmaster.com. My assumption was that there is a real ranking of nations, but I was unable to define prices rank to every single nation, rather I made groups of 20 nations and grouped nations into such higher groups, well knowing that the nations in such a group do differ but it I felt it too difficult to define the precise differences and precise ranking of every state or nation.

I ranked into the first group countries like most of the west European countries, Germany, France, UK, Spain, Holland, Belgium, but also Finland, Norway, Sweden, also Italy, USA, Japan, Austria, Switzerland, than English speaking countries, New Zealand, Australia, Canada. I left the last three places for countries about which I have too little evidence, like some of the rich OPEC-countries.

For the Czech Republic I made the estimate that it lies in the group between 70 and 90. Just today I have received email about propensity to get corrupted, that means how much corrupt a country is. The least corrupt nations are Finland and New Zealand, Russia is on place 143, on place 72 there are countries like Mexico, China, India and Brazil. For me this constitutes next small evidence that my estimates about the Czech Republic are good scientific guesses, The Czech Republic seems really to take the position somewhere between place 7o and 90.

The problems between Czechs and Germans are mostly problems that arise from the fact that these two countries border with each other but their ranks are far away from each other, Czechs approximately in the group 70 to 90 and Germans in the group of the first 20 nations in the world, so the smallest possible difference between these two nations is minimally 50 places, might be even higher, maybe 70 0r 80 places. This is too much and members of these nations have usually “emotional”, that means unconscious problems with each other.

Here I would like to mention the model of Axelrod about spreading of information between members of one group and members of two different groups that exactly hits the problem of countries that are relatively far away from each other but border with each other geographically, like Germany and Czechs or USA and Mexico.

One of many aspects of why members of one nation have problems with the culture of the other nation is the urge of comparing hierarchy in human society, and that occurs within one group as well as among groups, where the members of different groups function as representatives of their group.

Try to think of that and read the link about corruption, it is interesting.

http://www.economist.com/daily/chartgallery/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9834636

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?